Sunday, October 19, 2008

Is it racism?

There is probably widespread consensus that a white person who votes against his or her economic and other interests because of the color of Obama's skin, is a racist. The question is whether the overwhelming support that Obama receives from minorities can also be classified as racism.

It is clear that the very fact that someone uses race in the decision could be classified as racism. Having said that, what race represents to white people cannot really be compared to the experience of minorities. This is an extraordinarily thought provoking examination of what Obama's race means to minorities. It's a trifle long, so, while I strongly urge you to read the whole article, here are some quotes that'll give you flavor of the article:
In describing how the author, a Hispanic, felt about his drive to succeed, he says: "I needed to succeed because I was a minority -- which meant there was no failure like success, what with the doubt and resentment that shadow one's accomplishments. (Was it because of affirmative action?)"

...

"Anyone who has ever felt in his own body the hot shame that awareness of color brings could not escape the myriad emotions that emerged in the course of Obama's campaign. There was cynicism. I certainly believed the axiom that my generation -- and who knew how many generations more to come -- would not live to see a black man become president. (The realization that I'd abandoned all hope shames me to no end.)"

...

"Obama's victory in the Iowa caucuses brought an oh-so-cautious optimism, and resurrected the ghosts of the past in fears over his safety. Then came Wright, and Obama's "A More Perfect Union" speech in Philadelphia. My wife and I watched it live as we spoon-fed our twin baby daughters. Obama's attempt that morning to span the distance between his black pastor and his white grandmother -- to span the distance between all of us "others" in America -- brought tears to my eyes. (But I held them back.) It was a speech that addressed the confused kid who ran for student body president and the adult who'd endlessly wrestled with the contradiction of color."

...

"Much has been said about a "post-race" generation that Obama would seem to herald. But the very presence of the "r" word in the moniker tells us that there is more road left to travel. By insisting that we are past race, we betray how much it is still with us.

Which brings us to the intangibles of an Obama victory. What would it mean for the subject of race in America? Surely, some will see it as an opportunity to continue to open the kind of discursive space Obama himself did in Philadelphia. Others will no doubt declare the end of the story: If Obama can become president, then truly all barriers have fallen.

What difference will it make for my daughters to grow up pledging allegiance to a flag next to which hangs a portrait of Obama? Maybe, given the confluence of the economic crisis and this "historic election," America will finally be able to speak about race and social class at the same time.

In focusing on these things, perhaps I reveal myself as hopelessly trapped in the world of color I grew up in. Or maybe I'm pointing out the possibility that instead of "post-race" we are actually "pre-race" -- that is, on the verge of truly engaging the legacy of America's "original sin" and the way its reverberations affect us even today.

But right now, days before the election, I feel more than I think. I am my body, my color, with all the great weight of its shame, with all the anger about how I came to believe what others believed about me, and yes, the hope that survived my cynicism.

I am taut with tension -- as if I'm expecting a blow, as if I'm waiting for a storm to pass."

No comments: